White Rabbit Press Kanji Flash Cards

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Today's Japanese expression: 身を粉にして働く

Lately, I am taking the bus to work everyday. On the bus I am always reading some Japanese novel. What surprises me is that although the bus ride takes just about 10 minutes, the few pages that I can read always seem to contain some interesting expression. Like this one: 「身を粉にして働く」

It's a dialogue between two guys. One says he thinks that people nowadays don't seem to know what endeavour really is. He says everyone is doing nothing while complaining life is not fair. "I don't know", says the other guy, "僕の目で見れば皆がずいぶん身を粉にして働いているような印象を受けるけど」 ("At least to me it seems like everyone is working themselves to the bone").

Literally, 「身を粉にして働く」means "to work one's body to powder", on in proper English "to work oneself to the bone".

- - -
Contact me at allaboutnihongo at gmail dot com.
Follow this blog on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment