White Rabbit Press Kanji Flash Cards

Monday, February 1, 2010

Today's Japanese Expression: 目が節穴

Okay, this one is a expression you will never find in any Japanese language text book. I am 100% sure of it. I was lucky enough to have a colleague who loved teaching me what he used to call "stylish Japanese". This is one of the many expressions he taught me.

「お前の目が節穴か」. Literally: "are your eyes knotholes?". Doesn't make much sense, right? 「節穴」 (ふしあな) means "knothole". The meaning of this expression is something like "you must be blind". I have to admit I don't know the origin of this expression, but if you don't know what a "knothole" is, just do a Google Image search for "節穴", it's not so easy to explain.

Another use is of course: 「私の目は節穴じゃないよ」, meaning "I am not blind, you know".

I love expressions like these. Use this in a conversation with any Japanese person and I can assure you they will be impressed.
- - -
Contact me at allaboutnihongo at gmail dot com.
Follow this blog on twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Just find it in my kanji textbook but couldn't find the right explaination. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just find it in my kanji textbook but couldn't find the right explaination. Thank you

    ReplyDelete