White Rabbit Press Kanji Flash Cards

Monday, February 1, 2010

Today's Japanese expression: ねじを巻く

In the Japanese novel I am reading now, a guy is impressed by the well-ordered life one of his friends is living. He himself is doing nothing with his spare time, yet he decides to do an effort from now on to live a more ordered life:
「僕も僕自身のねじを巻きます!」(ぼくもぼくじしんのねじをまきます).

「ねじを巻く」 normally means "to wind up", with 「ねじ」 being "screw" and 「巻く」"to wind". For example, "to wind up a clock" is 「時計のねじを巻く」. However, in the case of the sentence in the novel, is means something like "to pay attention not to slack or be lazy".

Another example: 「夏休みは普段は特に何もしないで過ごしてしまうので、でも今度はねじを巻いてやろう!」"Normally I spend my summer vacation doing nothing, but this time I will be careful not to slack around!"

- - -
Contact me at allaboutnihongo at gmail dot com.
Follow this blog on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment